Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wine Gums

(photo from davidlebovitz.com)


I only recently tried wine gums for the first time, and I am definitely hooked. Each of the six shapes and colors corresponds with a different flavor: gin, claret, port, champagne, sherry and burgundy. I love that! Eating them feels altogether distinguished and fancy. The texture is definitely gummy but firmer than other candies. All the flavors are distinctive but I find them all to be reminiscent of pastille candy. Apparently wine gums are very popular in the UK. If that is not fancy I do not know what is. Here is a fun fact: Swedish fish are considered to be a kind of wine gum. 

Wine gums don't actually contain any alcohol but a schoolboy was recently refused service when he tried to buy them at a convenience store because the clerk didn't do their online research like me! According to folklore, the inventor of wine gums, Charles Maynard, was the son of a teetotaler and made them to help drinkers cut back.

This candy makes me think of:

No comments:

Post a Comment