Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Candy Shop Spotlight: Bruce's Candy Kitchen


The most colorful storefront on Main Street in Cannon Beach, OR belongs to a mecca for candy-lovers and the home of all my childhood dreams: Bruce's Candy Kitchen. Every time I went to the beach with my parents we got $2 to spend on candy here and I stocked up on gummy green apples, gummy blackberries and raspberries, gummy peaches, and mini jawbreakers for the two-hour ride home. On sunny days it's always packed, which is great because it's never sunny in Cannon Beach! Still, be prepared for some long lines. There are a lot of wannabe candy shops on the same street but don't be fooled, Bruce's is the original and the best. Being on the coast and all, the specialty here is their saltwater taffy, freshly pulled in-store on their glorious taffy machines:



Free samples when they've just made a new batch too! I'm not crazy for taffy, but I am into whatever comes in a million different flavors, especially when local favorites like blackberry and huckleberry are among them. My personal preference at Bruce's is actually the subject of much personal tragedy––candy seashells. I'm not talking about the chocolate kind, these were candy candy. The seashells came in all kinds of pretty colors and shapes but had a consistent taste and were hard and chewy at the same time. Then one day, as suddenly as they came into my life and changed it forever, they were GONE! No more in the bulk bins, no more in the carefully packaged cellophane bags, not even any more online (trust me, I looked). Did you ever have those candy seashells? Weren't they the best ever??? That's the sad truth about candy I guess; if it's not a best seller it's decommissioned and never to be seen again.

RIP candy seashells.

For your next trip to the Oregon Coast, here is some more information on Bruce's Candy Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment