Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Botan Rice Candy


I picked up some Botan rice candy today at Rainbow as I was grocery shopping, intrigued by its colorful package and the promise of a "free children's sticker inside". Unfortunately that's about where the intrigue stopped. Maybe it's like Chipurnoi Puntini and I have to keep eating them before their beauty really hits me, but I'd rather not.

It's a pinkish hard candy without any designated flavor, a little jagged on the edges and hanging out in a weird limbo between vaguely sour and spicy. One star is for the box design and for the sticker (I have to admit I wasn't expecting a pirate!) and the other half is for the weird and kind of cool inner wrapper that melts in your mouth. I guess I'm a sucker for novelty!

Actually part of the reason I bought these is because I have a vague memory of some rice candies that one of my parent's friends from China used to bring every time she visited. Those ones were little paper-like red wafers. I haven't been able to find them––do they sound familiar? Can anybody help me out here? 

This candy makes me think of:

No comments:

Post a Comment