Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Jelly Babies


 
Why haven't I had these before?? Stop reading this and go find your nearest Jelly Baby supplier. Just be careful to clarify, because there's also a mushroom by the same name (although that could be fun too). 

It just isn't fair that a candy lover like me be born in the States when all the good candy is across the Atlantic. And if it's 2013 shouldn't it be easier to import candy? And so naturally, these yummy cuties hail from England and I suppose I shouldn't complain because I did buy them stateside.

Last month I moved to Seattle for work and of course I had to familiarize myself with the local candy shops. Sweet Mickey's in Ballard was encouraging to find, small though it may be. It's everything a little neighborhood candy shop should be and perfect for a treat or two after exploring the city. The natural highlight there seems to be the homemade fudge and I bet it's wonderful, but what caught my eye were the Jelly Babies. I suppose they're sort of the British version of Sour Patch Kids in appearance––and don't get me wrong, I'm a #1 SPK fan––but the resemblance ends there. The flavors are delicately fruity and my favorite is blackcurrant. Mostly because I like to say it. Blackcurrant. Just try it! The candies are soft and a tiny bit chewy, with a dusting of starch that mutes the colors into pretty pastels.



Jelly Babies originated at the end of World War I and made their début accordingly with the name "Peace Babies". How could you not love a candy called Peace Babies? I personally think they should have kept that name.

This candy makes me think of: Where Have You Been All My Life

1 comment: