Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dreams Come Chew



This summer Portland became home to a new candy shop! It's tiny, it's expensive, it's a little tricky to find, but my oh my do they make yummy candy! Quin is the latest project of the Portlanders behind Saint Cupcake and is located in a new mini commercial mall across from Powell's Books. Given the cutesy storefronts and pastel displays of Saint Cupcake, I was surprised to find myself in Quin's completely minimalist and industrial atmosphere, their packaging labeled only by stark yellow lettering on gray backgrounds. Now I'll always be partial to the magical dizziness of your classic packed-to-the-brim candy shop, but I also understand the power of a simple approach in showcasing homemade and deliciously pure candies.

After finding out that Quin's chews were the most popular seller at the store and trying a sample myself, I was easily persuaded to buy a package for myself. That may not sound like a big deal, but consider also a price of $10.00 for a 20 piece package.

The candy chews come in three flavors (although I think they may have added more since my purchase): tangerine, lemon and strawberry. My absolute favorite was lemon. I thought it tasted just like lemon meringue pie. As fate would have it, I got stuck in a big traffic jam on the way home from Quin on a hot summer's day and cursed my broken air condition for the loss of an entire package of heavenly chews. My luck changed quickly when I took a desperate bite of a sticky, warm lemon chew––even better when they're melt-y! All was not lost and I even managed to save some to share. Worth the price? Absolutely––for a lovely once in a while treat!

This candy makes me think of: Hall & Oates

No comments:

Post a Comment