Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hi-Chew




OK I am hesitant to review all my favorites now since I'm just starting this blog but I am just too excited about Hi-Chew. Legend (Wikipedia) has it that Taichiro Morinaga is responsible for the earliest versions of the Hi-Chew when he tried making a swallow-able chewing gum to accommodate the Japanese cultural taboo against taking food out of one's mouth. When Morinaga made his in 1931 he called them Chewlets. Cute!



All right so I just learned about that chewing gum business when I wikipedia'd it a few seconds ago but it totally makes sense now. Hi-Chew stand out to me because the chewiness is a little different from other gummy candies. The flavors are SO GOOD too. Just the right amount of sweetness. Plus, they have recently become completely gluten-free! I have tried mango, strawberry, green apple, melon and peach––now I just have to get my hands on some grape and banana. I might have rated Hi-Chew 5 stars except I find it to be a little pricey here in the States for a pretty small package. 

Wikipedia also tells me that it's easy to remove with a warm wet washcloth in case it gets stuck on your clothes. Good to know.

This candy makes me think of:

No comments:

Post a Comment