Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Tropical Neccos



 
The Lemon Drop Stop is back in business! I have been neglecting the virtual candy sphere for the past couple weeks because 1) I graduated and 2) I spent a week road-tripping home from Minnesota with all my things. So I've been a bit busy, but don't worry because I wasn't neglecting you all during my trip. In fact I think a road trip is the perfect time for candy research sur le terrain, if you will. Just think––days on the open road accompanied by perfect little snacks from local shops and general stores along the way as a sampling of our country's sweet tooth. 

One of the places we stopped was Powell's Sweet Shoppe in Bend, Oregon (nearly home!). Okay, so maybe this one isn't quite local––it's a franchise with locations mostly in California. At any rate, Powell's has wonderful variety and a lot of sweets that are hard to find elsewhere. This is where I first saw (or even heard of) Tropical Necco Wafers. Who knew?? Neccos are my mom's favorite candy (she also loves their seasonal Sweethearts more than anyone I know) so they've been around my house for as long as I can remember. I love them too and when I was little I would pick out the white ones (too minty!) to give to my mom.

Tropical Necco Wafers are, as you might imagine, tropical fruit flavored. They come in the same pastel colors you're probably familiar with but the flavors are coconut, passion fruit, strawberry, lime, mango and banana. The first one in my roll was coconut. Chalky, crunchy and distinctly coconut. Next was mango and the flavor was equally strong and vaguely yummy. After that I had the misfortune of trying a banana-flavored wafer. Now I don't particularly like any banana-flavored candy but in the wafer it tasted like someone had spilled the whole shipment of artificial flavoring into the candy machine in a dismal accident. The rest of the flavors were unremarkable but nothing was as bad as banana.

The tropical wafers were fun to try as something new but I don't think I'd have them a second time. As far as I'm concerned, Necco wafers are good for that comforting chalky taste with unidentifiable flavors and yummy crunch, and not much else. Dear Necco: don't quit your day job.

This candy makes me think of:

No comments:

Post a Comment